Some league races are over but some are getting even closer…
- Edson Alvarez joined Andres Guardado, Hector Moreno, Hirving Lozano, and Carlos Salcido as Mexican winners of the Eredivisie. While Ajax still have 3 games left in their season, they clinched the league over the weekend with a 4-0 win over FC Emmen. Edson has 29 starts across all competitions for Ajax but 24 of them came after the middle of January. Once he established himself as their go-to midfield destroyer, he never relinquished the role. Ajax have a win percentage of 68.4% without Edson but a 78.5% with him as a starter.
- With 4 games left, Napoli find themselves on the outside looking in for a Champions League spot. They were only able to get a draw versus relegation candidate Cagliari. Fortunately for Lozano and company, they do not face a club in the top half of the table to finish off the season. AC Milan and Juventus (2 points ahead of Napoli) face 2 clubs in top 3 to finish the season.
- Real Betis only mustered a draw versus a relegation candidate and are now 1 point behind Villarreal for a Europa League spot. There are 4 games left in the La Liga season, Betis get to play 2 clubs likely to get relegated to close the season. Villarreal gets to end the season at Real Madrid, who might be playing for the league title.
- Speaking of league title, Hector Herrera and Atletico are holding on to their slim 2 point lead at the top. They play Barcelona next weekend in a game that will go a long way of determining the league winner.
- Gerardo Arteaga won his first game in the league playoffs as Genk fight for a league title in addition to a Champions League spot. He could pull the double and win the league/cup in his first season in Europe.
- Porto won their game but may have lost Jesus Corona for their clasico versus Benfica on Thursday. Tecatito left Friday’s game with an injury and no word on how long he will be out.