The dog days of the European season are here. Lets see how our Europeos fared this weekend.
- Omar Govea and his club fell 4-2 this weekend but look at the video above for him dropping his 7th assist of the season last weekend. They face off Gent next weekend and need a win to sneak into the playoffs for a Europa League spot.
- Genk won their game 4-0 and are comfortably in the playoffs for a Champions League spot. If they clinch a spot in next year’s Champions League, that can only bode well for Gerardo Arteaga and his national team ambitions
- Ajax took care of business and are inching closer to clinching another league title. Edson Alvarez played in the midfield and did what he has been doing in 2021: protected the back 4 and allowed the fullbacks to push in the attack.
- Jesus Corona might be eliminated in the Champions League this week but he still has a chance at the Portuguese title. Porto have won 5 straight league games and are 6 points back of Sporting CP with 8 games left.
- Jesus Gomez saw a 30 minute cameo in Boavista’s draw versus Rio Ave. That point took them out of the relegation zone for now.
- Hector Herrera and Diego Lainez both saw minutes but did not share the field at the same time. HH started and went a solid 63 minutes in a rare start for Atletico Madrid. Lainez came off the bench for the last 15 minutes of the game and nearly won the game for Betis.
- Bad news for Erick Gutierrez as he is out for the rest of the season after suffering an injury in training. Have to imagine this might be it for him at PSV. If it is, the 25 year old will have options in Mexico and Europe should be want to stay abroad. He finishes this injury riddled season with 174 minutes spread out across 10 appearances and 1 start.