Edson Alvarez won the Dutch Cup last weekend and might be able to officially clinch the Eredivisie title this weekend. Also, he scored the equalizer in their mid-week league game. Not a bad week at all for him. He’s not the only one with a game this weekend….
- I was hoping Omar Govea would sneak into the Europa League playoffs in Belgium. They needed to beat Gent last weekend but… they got rocked 7-2 and their season is over. Overall, not a bad season for the 25 year old. He finished in the top 10 in assists and is a good candidate to be called up this summer for Mexico. As for his club career, he has 1 more year on his contract with Zulte with an additional team option. Look for him to be back in Belgium next season.
- Marcelo Flores scored a goal this week for Arsenal’s U18 squad. Rumors that he might be leaning towards Canada for his international career but until he is cap tied, Mexico should keep him in their plans.
- Hector Herrera has been Simeone’s go-to defensive midfielder over the last few weeks. HH has repaid that faith with solid performances that have stabilized their midfield. La Liga race is only getting tighter with Atletico holding a slim 3 points over Real Madrid. Should be a fun final month of the year.
- Gerardo Arteaga still has a chance at winning the Belgium league title and clinching a Champions League spot for next season. The playoffs begin next weekend for him and Genk.
- Unlike Nestor Araujo and Celta Vigo, Real Betis are still in it for a Europa League spot. Diego Lainez and Andres Guardado will have their hands full with Real Madrid this weekend. Maybe they can help out HH and hold Madrid to a tie?
- Fans may not like Javier Hernandez move to MLS but he might be Mexico’s striker this summer if Raul Jimenez is not healthy. Good to see him start his season off right.
What are you watching this weekend?