There is about a week left in the Winter Transfer Window. Will any Mexicans be making moves in Europe?
- Raul Gudiño will be staying at APOEL through the end of the season. In the Cyprus first division, you can only make 4 transfers in the winter window. The club has already made 3 and would need to use their 4th on a keeper if Raul leaves. He will stay through the end of the season and hope to add to his 315 minutes played this season. Those minutes included being the first Mexican keeper to play in the Champions League. His contract runs through 2020 at Porto.
- Jurgen Damm is not going anywhere. He has signed a 5 year extension with Tigres instead of going to Europe. He said he received 2 offers from European clubs but decided to stay at the ‘best club in Mexico.’ I can see why he would stay at Tigres but as a fan, I wish he would have gone to Europe sooner with his German passport.
- Miguel Layun is still in transfer limbo. He wants to join up with Guardado at Real Betis but his manager is not sure about selling him this window. I commented in the last TCK Podcast that his versatility would work against him leaving Porto this window. I don’t expect him to move until after the World Cup.
- Chicharito wants out of West Ham and who could blame him. He has started 1 game since David Moyes took over in November but things can change. West Ham is going through a bit of an injury crisis with Andy Carroll (3 months), Manuel Lanzini (6 weeks) and Marko Arnautovic (3 weeks). This clears the way for Chicharito to start for the foreseeable future and will dash his hopes of leaving West Ham.
- One of the rumors that came out of nowhere, Gerardo Arteaga had been linked with a few European clubs but Santos has not received any official offers.
- Cubo is technically a Mexican Abroad so lets cover his latest transfer news…. After failing to get transferred to Veracruz this window, Cubo intends to fulfill his contract at Houston. It runs another 2 years (December 2019). He had a good bounce back season last year with the Dynamo but faded in the second half of the season, mostly coming off the bench.