The latest Top 25 rankings are out. Make sure you head over to FutMex Source to see the complete rankings. Keep reading for my rankings and thoughts on some of the players. Feel free to tell me how wrong I am in the comments below.
Number 1: Andres Guardado: El Capitan still reigns supreme as my number 1 player. He continues to be a catalyst for PSV and is coming off a great Gold Cup performance.
2. Tecatito Corona: His surprise big move to Porto validates him as one to watch in the future and not just for Mexican fans. The 50mil Euro release clause Porto slapped on him is a sign they expect great things from him.
8. Chicharito Hernandez: Finally. The Chivas product has left LvG and Manchester United behind. Hernandez is now a Bayer player. This is his season to prove the doubters wrong and become a main cog in a high level European team. All signs point to this revitalizing his club career.
9. Raul Jimenez: Already equalized his goal total from last season. Benfica fans like what they see in Jimenez and I like what he can do in their lineup. Time to show us what he learned at Atletico Madrid.
12. Diego Reyes: His move to Real Sociedad was not as splashy as some of the other transfer moves this summer but it might be the most important one for El Tri. Once seen as the future at CB, Reyes needs to develop to meet that lofty expectation. Early indications are he will develop and get valuable minutes in Spain. He is coming off a great performance last weekend and needs to carry that momentum into his national team games.
15. Carlos Salcedo: Has a bright future with the national team and fills a position of need, CB. El Tri is looking to transition out the old guard in defense but cannot do that until replacements step up. Salcedo has the makings of someone who can do just that.
19. Alfredo Talavera: Tuca’s #1 keeper as he has dropped Memo Ochoa from the national team. Tala has been consistent at Toluca and will get his chance to claim Mexico’s #1.
22. Jurgen Damm: Unfortunately, he is too old for the Olympic team and on the fringes of the senior team. Jurgen has all the talent in the world but as the case with many younger players, he needs to be more consistent. His big money move to Tigres shows how bright many believe his future to be.