Image via https://www.behance.net/joslugg

There is about a week left in the Summer Transfer Window. Expect the rumors to fly fast and hard. Josh breaks down the latest Tecatito rumor.

     According to multiple sources, FC Porto are  planning to use some of their newly acquired money from the sales of Jackson Martinez, Alex Sandro, Danilo and others to buy Mexican winger Jesus ‘Tecatito” Corona from FC Twente.

     After hitting financial struggles last season, Twente have also been in sell mode this Summer. They’ve also yet to win a game this season and may be in for a relegation battle. The selling of Tecatito, one of their best players, could seriously hurt their chances of staying in the Eredivisie.  Considering they’re already fielding a very young  squad (9 players were 20 or younger last game), fans will need to strap in for a bumpy season. Porto fans have been worried about the lack of any major incoming players, aside from Real Madrid legend Iker Casillas, after selling so much this summer. Corona might not be the star fans want but he would be a solid pick up for a team looking to make a Champions League run.

     From Tecatito’s perspective, getting the chance to play in the Champions League is a large step up from his current situation. He’d also be joining Mexican teammate Hector Herrera, and perhaps have Diego Reyes could rejoin him next year. There is also goalkeeper Raul Gudiño on the roster, so he would have a sense of familiarity. Moreover, both Twente and Porto use a similar 4-3-3 formation, which will help Corona slide in. However, he would have to compete with wingers such as Varela, Tello and Brahimi, where as with Twente, he is the unquestioned starter. Decreased playing time would be a risk, with the reward of playing on Europe’s biggest stage.

     It will certainly be interesting to see how this plays out in the coming days. A couple factors that could throw a wretch in the deal are his salary and ownership of his rights. As it stands now, he makes about 1 million euros per season and those wages are said to have played a role in PSV losing interest. Twente only owns 30% of his rights and the remaining 70% are owned by an investment group. Corona signed an extension last Fall that set his release clause at 30 million Euros but it appears Twente will take much less. Porto is holding steady at 10 million Euros but Twente would like that number to be higher.  Whatever the case, Corona is a rising star and Porto’s interest solidifies his growing reputation.

Share This PostTweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook0Share on Tumblr0Email this to someoneShare on Google+0Share on Reddit0